J.R. Cook was born in Texas in 1961 and grew up in a small town in the Texas panhandle. As a young man, he explored the prairie ranch lands and Canadian River breaks near his home, growing to love the iconic images of the Texas landscape.
His early works reflect the Panhandle Plains of Texas, but after moving to rural Jack County, his later works are more representative of the local rolling hills and oaks of the Cross Timbers area near his home.
J.R. is largely self-taught, but has taken instruction from Clair Daly of Olney, Texas, as well as Kaye Franklin in Graham. He is a member of the Oil Painters of America and the Outdoor Painters Society.
J.R.'s work has been recognized in several area events and venues:
J.R. with Donna Howell-Sickles
- 2017: Award of Merit at Art at the OPOMAC
- 2017: Double Finalist for Landscape and Still Life - The Artist Magazine
- 2017: Featured in article in Southwest Art Magazine
- 2016: Best of Show Award at Art at the OPOMAC
- 2016: Accepted to participate in the PASW Event at the Southwest Gallery in Dallas
- 2016: Accepted into National Show at the Randy Higbee Gallery in Costa Mesa, CA
- 2016: Received Award at the Randy Higbee Gallery Show
- 2016: Best of Show at Art at the OPOMAC in Graham TX
- 2016: Honorable Mention at Mystery Art Show in Wichita Falls TX
- 2015: Best of Show Award at the Mystery Art Show at the Kemp Center in Wichita Falls TX
- 2015: Accepted into the Plein Air Southwest Salon in Dallas TX
- 2015: Invited to Exhibit at the OPOMAC in Graham TX
- 2014: Accepted into the Juried "En Plein Aire" Show at the Museum of Fine Arts in San Angelo TX
- 2014: Accepted to the Invitational Show at the Breckenridge Fine Arts Center in Breckenridge TX
- 2014: Second Place Award at the Lake Country Art Show in Graham TX
- 2014: Accepted to the "Spirit of Texas" National Juried Show at the Old Post Office Museum & Art Center
- 2014: Invited to showcase artwork on agAmerica.us website
- 2014: Accepted to the Big Country Art League Art Show at the BFAC
- 2013: Accepted to the Museum of North Texas History Juried Art Show
- 2013: Accepted to the "Spirit of Texas" National Juried Show at the OPOMAC in Graham TX
- 2013: Best of Show Award at the Lake Country Art Show
- 2013: Honorable Mention at the Lake Country Art Show
- 2013: Best Landscape Award at the Kemp Center's "Mystery Art Show"
- 2013: Honorable Mention at the Kemp Center 's "Mystery Art Show"
- 2013: First Place Award at the "Light on the Land" Open Wet Paint Invitational in Saint Jo TX
- 2013: Chisholm Trail Art Association's November "Artist of the Month"